Series 3 of the Great British Sewing Bee returns 28 January 2015, giving makers a legitimate excuse to stay in every Wednesday…
Fill your bobbins and thread your needles, The Great British Sewing Bee returns to BBC Two. Yes, next week the bustling sounds of overlockers and sewing machines return as Great British Sewing Bee viewers get to making. Claudia Winkleman, GBSB presenter (and motivating force behind blunt bangs) will be encouraging this year’s sewers as they’re tested on various sewing techniques, fabric knowledge, dressmaking and more.
- Choose a space to sew in with good light
- Keep two or three seam rippers handy, they are like biros: they disappear.
- Don’t use your scissors for anything but fabric. I went to grab my scissors the other day and they were blunt. Turns out my 9-year-old daughter had been using them to cut through wire… grrr.
- Treat yourself to a pin magnet – they are brilliant. I’d never seen them until I was on the show. Genius.
- Have some patience, you’ll make mistakes and you’ll need to re-do some parts.
- Try and keep your sewing space tidy.
- If you don’t have the fancy gadgets that you think you need, try to find an alternative around the house. The truth is people made clothes hundreds of years ago without fancy gadgets. And don’t be scared of working with “difficult” fabrics, the more you handle them the more you understand how to work them.
Here’s the Great British Sewing Bee 3 trailer – get excited!