There’s nothing like the start of a new year to boost our sew-jo – that’s 365 days to fill with creative projects! And we’ve got oodles of ideas, techniques and how-tos to kick-start your year of making in issue 51, with home updates, skills-boosting makes and stylish wardrobe essentials to try. Take a look inside…
First on our list of 2019 goals? To fill our wardrobe with clothes we’ll love to wear every day – and we’re off to a stylish start with issue 51’s Lauren Set! This staple polo neck can be made as a top or slinky midi dress, and we’ll be making one in every colour…
Right, that’s sewing with jersey ticked off – next stop, bag-making! With this issue’s Sicily Bag pattern you’ll learn how to add faux leather and webbing straps, a lining and interfacing, and a handy zip pocket. And, voila! A new everyday bag you can show off to your sewing pals.
New to dressmaking, or simply want a little refresher? Issue 51’s Essential Guide to Dressmaking mini book has you covered! It’s the kind of book we wish we’d had when we started sewing – from getting to know your machine and picking the right fabric, to inserting invisible zips and sleeves, it’s packed with techniques and tips. Have a peek inside here.
Also in issue 51:
- Sew a dining set in Oriental-inspired prints.
- Transform a quilted throw into a stylish jacket.
- Revamp your sewing room with our interiors feature.
- Make a tie-waist skirt – no pattern needed!
- Sew a fringed infinity scarf.
- Learn how to replace a zip in a lined dress.
- Find out what Lisa Comfort has in store for 2019.
- Add colourful embroidery to a jumper.
- Refashion a T-shirt in two ways.
- Meet Liberty homewares brand Coco & Wolf.
- Sew a quilted shopper bag.
- Make a simple cafe curtain.
- Stitch cute critter purses for the kids.
- Try circle stitch and embroider a baby bib.