You know that amazing feeling when someone compliments your dress and you can say “I made it myself”? That’s why we love sewing – and why we’ve filled issue 56 with ways to boost your capsule wardrobe, including two staple patterns. And you can give your space a handmade touch too with our project book of modern home makes. Take a peek inside…Every capsule wardrobe needs a shirt dress, so of course we’re sewing our own! Issue 56’s easy-to-wear Shirt Dress is all about the fun-to-sew details, from a grandad collar and buttons, to an optional waist belt and sleeve cuffs, and can be styled for work or weekends.The clothes we love to wear most are often the simplest; the effortless looks we can dress up or down. Luckily, they’re the most quick and satisfying to sew, too! And this issue’s Flora Top by I AM Patterns is an easy-sew top with a twist; its unique contrast yoke detail means you can get creative with colours, prints and textures. It’s a clever way to use your offcuts for an eco-friendly make, too!
And it’s not just our wardrobes that are getting a makeover this month! We’re updating our homes with handmade goodies from issue 56’s Sew Home Style project book, with 17 projects and ideas for revamping every room in the house – think quilts, cushions, and even a pineapple doorstop!
Also in issue 56:
- Make a set of on-trend accessories for your desk.
- Sew a retro-style wrap top.
- Learn how to add patch pockets.
- Find out about Gretchen Hirsch’s new vintage-inspired sewing book.
- Add a needle-felt motif to a tote bag.
- Make a slinky red tie-waist dress to your measurements.
- Discover how we can all champion diversity in the sewing community.
- Make a colourful alpaca plushie.
- Sew a cute tooth fairy pillow.
- Learn spider web stitch and embroider a collar.
- Stitch a padded kneeler for gardening.
- Make an ombre patchwork cushion.
- Sew a child’s dress, bloomers and sun hat set.
- Learn how to use rotary cutters for accurate cutting out.
- Match patterns to this season’s trends with The Fold Line.