One of our favourite things about sewing is being able to make our own versions of the trends, so we’ve packed issue 32 with projects inspired by the high street, from statement sleeves to Instagram-ready coffee break accessories, with 2 free patterns to sew. Here’s a peek inside the issue…
The statement sleeve trend has taken over the high street this summer, and we’re sewing our own with this issue’s cover star! The Mia Set (in sizes UK 6-20, US 4-18, EUR 34-48) is a 1960s-inspired simple shift style that can be made as a dress and top and has two sleeve styles to play with: flared and fluted.
Celebrate the season of the sleeve with us and share your me-made statement sleeves using #simplysewingmag – we’d love to see!
Issue 32 also includes The Drop Set pattern by Madeit Patterns, in sizes UK 6-18 (US 4-16, EUR34-46). Designed for stretch knits and so comfy it’s like wearing pyjamas, this is a jersey dress and top with a difference thanks to its unique asymmetric shape. The designers of the pattern, Anna and Olu, say: “It’s an addictive sewing experience. Once you Drop, you won’t stop.” You’ve been warned!
Also in issue 32:
- Sew retro kitchen accessories.
- Make a quick-sew pom pom scarf.
- Transform a shirt into a summer dress.
- Make a tote bag from T-shirts.
- Learn pistil stitch.
- Sew a beach cover-up.
- Stitch a baby kimono and mittens set.
- Make a duffle bag from a fat quarter.
- Sew a pair of toy turtles.
- Learn how to sew with lace.
- Make an oilcloth table cover.