Leaves are turning golden brown, there’s a fresh chill in the air, and we’re getting our sewing machines at the ready – it’s time to sew for a new season! Autumn is one of our favourite times of year for dressmaking, with gorgeous warm colours, snuggly fabrics and so many options for layering, so we’ve filled issue 47 with versatile styles for your fall wardrobe – with three patterns to sew! – and fun makes for your family and home, too. Take a peek inside issue 47 and shop the issue in our online store.
Issue 47 includes three patterns to add to your autumn sewing list: The Matilda Dress, The Alexa Dress, and The Bowling Bag.
Our cover star this issue is the swishy Matilda Dress – with two sleeve styles and lengths to mix and match and an elegant high collar detail, she’s an everyday frock with serious style!
And for easy autumn layering, look no further than The Alexa Dress; this jersey dress is simple to sew, comfy to wear, and great for throwing on over a long-sleeve tee when the weather turns cooler.
Plus, don’t forget the accessories too! The Bowling Bag is a great skills-boosting project and the perfect size for everything from weekend breaks to busy work days.
Be sure to share your autumn style with us tagged #simplysewingmag – we’d love to see!
Projects + features in issue 47:
- Sew sweet children’s room accessories.
- Update a pair of jeans with a sashiko design.
- Make a kimono cover-up to your measurements.
- Embroider a plain throw.
- Make a denim tote bag.
- Discover Patrick Grant’s innovative fashion brand.
- Sew a sewing tool set.
- Make a Halloween treat bag (below)
- Sew a cute fox pencil case.
- Stitch a classic rag doll toy.
- Embellish a skirt with ribbon blooms.
- Learn Peking knot stitch.
- Take a look behind the scenes at some of the UK’s iconic fashion museums.