Sew a swishy frock for all summer occasions with The Rosa Dress sewing pattern, a vintage-inspired style with an easy fit and ruffle hem detail.
Say hello to your new favourite summer sewing pattern! Relaxing by the beach, exploring a new city, picnics with the kids…whatever your summer brings, you’ll need a Rosa Dress to do it in! This issue’s cover-star frock is vintage-inspired, oh-so-swishable and a breeze to wear, with a button fastening, lining, strap tabs (to create that pretty sweetheart neckline) and a gathered skirt – plus an optional hemline ruffle for added flounce!
- 10 of the best Summer Sewing Patterns
- Find your next me-made garment in our Etsy Pattern Shop!
- How to use a sewing pattern: beginner’s guide
Never sewn buttonholes and buttons before, or need to brush up on your skills? Learn how to create matching self-covered buttons and sew perfect buttonholes with our guides in issue 57 of Simply Sewing magazine.
Share your finished Rosa dress with us using the hashtags #simplysewingmag and #rosadress.
The Rosa Dress Sewing Pattern
UK sizes 6-20 (US 4-18, EUR 34-38)
- Sew princess seams
- Make a sweetheart neckline
- Add a ruffle detail to the hem
- Sew buttons and buttonholes
You will need:
- Fabric: Dress A*: Main fabric: 2.3mx140cm (23⁄4ydsx55in), Lining fabric: 0.9mx140cm (1ydx55in)
- Fabric: Dress B: Main fabric: 2.1mx115cm (21⁄2ydsx45in) or 1.8mx140cm (2ydsx55in)
- Lining fabric: 1mx115cm (11⁄8ydsx45in) or 0.9mx140cm (1ydx55in)
- Buttons: 3 x 25mm (1in)
- Clear elastic: 1.5m x 9mm wide
- Matching thread
- Basic sewing kit
*Dress A can only be made with 140cm (55in) wide fabric.
Lightweight fabrics such as cotton, cotton lawn, crepe or rayon.
Can’t wait to start sewing?
Get the PDF version of this pattern instantly to your phone, tablet or computer in our Etsy shop.