Sew a new weekend staple with The Alexa Dress in UK sizes 6-20, a super-comfy jersey style with a feminine skirt detail. You’ll love to wear this all year round, with a scoop neck for easy layering and a ruffle skirt.
Whatever the season, whatever the weather, you’re most likely to find us wearing jersey. It’s safe to say that this versatile fabric fills most of our wardrobe (and our fabric stash!), and now we’ve got a new style to add to the collection with this issue’s Alexa Dress. And we definitely won’t be making just one version of this staple dress – with its irresistible ruffle skirt detail and so many options for layering with our fave tees and knits, we’ll be stitching an Alexa in every hue!
This is a great skills-booster for those new to sewing with stretch (and a speedy make for more confident stitchers), with instructions for stabilising the seams and adding neckline and armhole bands for a professional finish.
- Buy this pattern with issue 47 today
- Pattern hack! Convert this dress into a top with sleeves with our bonus downloads
- 12 of the best beginner sewing patterns
Grab a copy of issue 47 for fabric and occasion styling inspiration, and be sure to share your finished Alexa Dress tagged #simplysewingmag
The Alexa Dress
Only available with issue 47, Simply Sewing magazine
UK sizes 6-20, US 4-18 and EUR 34-48
You will need:
- Main fabric: 115cm (45in) wide x 3.1m (31⁄2yds), for all sizes
- Clear elastic or cotton tape: 0.5cm (1⁄4in) wide x 7m (7.5yds)
- Jersey sewing machine needle
- Dental floss (for gathering, see instructions for details)
- Matching thread
- Basic sewing kit
- Hook and eye
- Matching thread
Medium-weight cotton jersey.
- Sew with jersey
- Sew a drop-waist skirt with ruffle detail
- Make a scoop neckline and armhole bands
- Stabilise seams
Simply Sewing issue 47 is available both in-store and online.
Simply Sewing is also available as a digital edition, for Apple phones and tablets, Android phones and tablets, the Barnes & Noble Nook, and to read through Zinio as PDFs. Click here to get issue 47 straight to your device.