Get exploring with The City Backpack, a practical and stylish backpack to practise your bag making skills on. It’s the perfect size for carrying the essentials on a day out in the city (or anywhere!).
- Order issue 43 of Simply Sewing today
- Buy the kit and see a demo on Sewing Quarter TV (28th June 2018).
- Check out our free sewing tutorials in our How to sew section
When we’re out and about soaking up the sunshine and sightseeing somewhere new, be it at a coastal resort or a cosmopolitan city, the last thing we want to do is to be laden down with a heavy shoulder bag. So we’ll be packing all our big-day-out essentials in this issue’s City Backpack, a cute carry-all bag pattern that’s the perfect size for our sunscreen, sunnies, camera and travel snacks. We’ve made ours in pretty floral canvas with webbing straps, a cork fabric base and D-ring closure for practicality and style. Now let’s go exploring!
The Overnight Bag
Bag sewing pattern: only available with issue 43, Simply Sewing magazine
You will need
- Fabric A: 30x112cm (12x44in), for the main front and back
- Fabric B: 30x85cm (12x34in), for the base and details
- Fabric C: 80x112cm (32x44in), for the lining and pocket
- Iron-on wadding: 70x90cm (28x35in)
- Iron-on interfacing: 20x30cm (8x12in)
- Cotton webbing: 2.5cm (1in) width x 2.3m (21⁄2yds)
- 2 rectangle rings: 2.5cm (1in)
- 2 D-rings: 2.5cm (1in)
- 2 rectangle bag sliders: 2.5cm (1in)
- Zip: 18cm (7in)
- 2 press fasteners or Kam snaps
- Fray stopper
- Matching thread
- Basic sewing kit
We used canvas for the main bag, cork fabric for the base and cotton for the lining.
- Learn the basics of bag-making
- Attach adjustable webbing straps
- Add a contact panel and matching details
- Make a secure fastening with a secure D-ring and webbing.
Get the pattern
Get the pattern free with issue 43 in our online store.