Update your everyday wardrobe with this staple tunic-style top or dress with contrast cuffs and patch pockets. The Lara Set in UK sizes 6-20 is an easy-wear shift dress and top sewing pattern. It comes with full instructions and pattern sheets so you’ll have everything you need to sew your own Lara dress or top.
If we were going to dream up our perfect weekend dress and top, they would look like The Lara Set – a comfortable, easy-to-wear shift silhouette, with stylish details such as patch pockets and cuffs to make it feel that bit more special than our usual weekend uniform of jeans and a tee.
- Browse our sewing patterns and pick your next me-made project in our pattern shop
- Have you got your hands one issue 34 of Simply Sewing magazine yet?
- Top up your sewing machine skills with our Skills Boost series.
The Lara Set can be made as a dress or a top in UK sizes 6-20 (US 4-18 or EUR 34-38) and includes design features to mix and match: patch pockets, contrast cuffs and a split hem finished with facings. Its simple construction makes it the perfect project for confident beginners looking to boost their skills.
Remember to share your Lara dress or top with us using #simplysewingmag!
The Lara Set
Top and dress sewing pattern – only available with issue 34, Simply Sewing magazine, £6.99
You will need
For the dress:
- Main fabric: 115cm (45in) width fabric x 2.7m (3yds); 140cm (55in) width x 2m (21⁄4yds) for all sizes
- Invisible zip: 56cm (22in)
For the top:
- Main fabric: 115cm (45in) width fabric x 2.1m (21⁄4yds); 140cm (55in) width x 1.4m (11⁄2yds) for all sizes
- Contrast fabric: 115cm (45in) width fabric x 0.8m (1yd); 140cm (55in) width x 0.7m (3⁄4yds) for all sizes
- Invisible zip: 20cm (8in)
For the dress and top:
- Hook and eye
- Matching thread
Light to medium weight fabrics such as cotton, cotton lawn and chambray.
- Add cuffs for on-trend sleeves
- Sew optional patch pockets
- Insert bust darts
- Insert an invisible zip
Get the pattern
Get the pattern free with issue 34 in our online store.