As soon as the sun peeks out from behind the clouds, we start dreaming up our me-made summer holiday wardrobe – we’re thinking floaty maxi frocks and easy-to-wear styles, with details to mix and match so we can sew up different versions (when we find a summer dress sewing pattern we love, we can never make it just once!).
Update your holiday wardrobe with Cotton + Chalk’s The Lily Dress in sizes 6-20, is a staple wrap dress that can be made in a multitude of ways, with a wrap front, two bodice back styles, maxi and midi lengths and an optional waist tie. Summer, we’re ready for you!
- Take your pick from two back bodice styles.
- Wrap bodice The front pieces cross over for a flattering wrap style.
- Optional belt Add an self-fabric tie belt for a fitted silhouette.
- Two length options Choose from a midi or maxi- length skirt.
Share your finished Lily Dress with us using #simplysewingmag – we’d love to see!
The Lily Dress sewing pattern
Get it with: May Simply Sewing, issue 29, £6.99
Sizes: UK sizes 6-20 (US 4-18/Eur 34-38)
Practise your skills:
- Sew a casing at the waist for elastic
- Insert pleats to the top
- Discover sewing with stretch fabrics
- Stabilise shoulder seams with interfacing
You will need:
- Fabric (Dress A): 1.8–2m (17⁄8-21⁄8yds) (152in/60cm wide)
- Fabric (Dress B): 3.2-3.9m (31⁄2-41⁄4 yrds) (152in/60cm wide)
- 5mm (1⁄4in) wide elastic, 1.2m (11⁄4yds).
- Matching thread
Lightweight woven fabrics such as cotton, calico, chambray, linen and challis.
Get the pattern: With issue 29 of Simply Sewing magazine.