Get autumn-ready with The Matilda Dress: a new- season essential dress sewing pattern in UK sizes 6-20, with a high collar neckline, waist tie, and two length and sleeve options.
Some garments are destined for big occasions, others for everyday wear, but we don’t believe the latter has to be boring! Featuring a high collar neckline and a waist-cinching tie with two sleeve and length options, The Matilda Dress is a crush-worthy, any-occasion kind of frock that will take you effortlessly from day to night, and season to season.
- Buy the pattern today with issue 47
- Browse more of our latest sewing patterns in our pattern store
- 12 of the best beginner sewing patterns
It’s designed for drapey fabrics, so don’t pack away your stash of floaty prints just yet! This swishy style’s blousey sleeves, relaxed fit and gathered waist make it perfect for rayons, crepes and cottons – and for elegant layering on cooler autumn days.
Grab a copy of issue 47 for fabric and occasion styling inspiration, and be sure to share your finished Alexa Dress tagged #simplysewingmag
The Matilda Dress
Only available with issue 47, Simply Sewing magazine
UK sizes 6-20, US 4-18 and EUR 34-48
You will need:
- Main fabric: 115cm (45in) wide x 3.6m (4yds), for all sizes
- Iron-on interfacing: 30x115cm (12x45in)
- Zip: 20cm (8in)
- Button: 10-12mm (3⁄8in-1⁄2in)
- Narrow elastic: to fit each wrist (see instructions for details)
- Ribbon or elastic: 3mm (1⁄8in) wide x 5cm (2in)
- Basic sewing kit
- Matching thread
Lightweight cotton, cotton lawn, rayon, crepe or linen.
- Sew a high collar neckline
- Practise two sleeve styles
- Make a gathered tie waist for easy fittings
Simply Sewing issue 47 is available both in-store and online.
Simply Sewing is also available as a digital edition, for Apple phones and tablets, Android phones and tablets, the Barnes & Noble Nook, and to read through Zinio as PDFs. Click here to get issue 47 straight to your device.