Sew the statement sleeve trend with The Mia Set in UK sizes 6-20, a 1960s-inspired shift dress and top with fluted and flared sleeve styles to mix and match.
This summer is all about the sleeve! Flared, fluted, floaty, pleated, ruffled, cold-shoulder, bell-shaped, bow-adorned – all the gorgeous sleeve styles we’ve spotted on the high street this season have us feeling inspired to add statement sleeves to our me-mades, too.
The Mia Set is a modern update on the oh-so-flattering shift dresses of the 1960s and includes two sleeve options to play with: flared and fluted. With so many possibilities for getting creative with sleeve styles, we’ll be making more than one Mia! The pattern is designed for lightweight fabrics with plenty of drape, such as cotton lawn, viscose and rayon, to create feminine floaty sleeves.
Celebrate the season of the sleeve with us and share your statement sleeves using #simplysewingmag – we’d love to see!
The Mia Set sewing pattern
Get it with: August issue 32, £6.99
Sizes: UK sizes 6-20
- Sew bust darts
- Finish a neckline
- Add a simple hook and eye closure (so no fiddly fastenings, hurrah!)
- Insert flared or fluted sleeves
- Hem sleeves by hand or machine
You will need:
- Fabric for the dress: 115cm (45in) width fabric x 3m (31⁄4yds) or 140cm (55in) width fabric x 1.8m (2yds) for all sizes
- Fabric: Top: 115cm (45in) width fabric x 3m (31⁄4yds) or 140cm (55in) width x 2m (21⁄4yds) for all sizes
- Hook and eye
- Matching thread
Light to medium weight fabrics such as cotton, cotton lawn, crepe and crepe-style fabrics, viscose and rayon.
With the issue 32 of Simply Sewing magazine. Available in our online store.