Learn bag-making skills with this easy-make bag sewing pattern. Pack all the essentials for a weekend away in this roomy bag with a secure zip fastening, durable webbing straps, pockets and piped detailing for a professional finish.
- Have you got your hands one issue 34 of Simply Sewing magazine yet?
- Check out our free sewing tutorials in our How to sew section
- Top up your sewing machine skills with our Skills Boost series.
We like to inject a little bit of handmade loveliness into every aspect of our lives, including our travels – after all, if we have to spend time away from our sewing machine, we might as well do it in me-made style! The Overnight Bag pattern is the ultimate weekend bag with a place for everything (great if you’re an everything-in-its-place type of packer!). The pattern will take you through bag-making skills such as adding zipped pockets and sturdy straps.
Are you sewing your own version of The Overnight bag? Share a photo with us using #simplysewingmag.
The Overnight Bag
Bag sewing pattern – only available with issue 34, Simply Sewing magazine, £6.99
You will need
- Fabric A: 80x112cm (31x44in), main fabric
- Fabric B: 100x112cm (39x44in), contrast fabric
- Fabric C: 150x112cm (59x44in), lining fabric
- Fabric D: 100x112cm (39x44in), contrast lining fabric
- Fabric E: 50x55cm (20x22in), piping fabric
- Iron-on interfacing: 50x55cm (20x22in)
- Iron-on wadding: 72x100cm (28x39in)
- Heavy duty zip: 51cm (20in)
- Five x zips: 18cm (7in)
- Webbing 3.8cm (11⁄2in) x 3.5m (4yds)
- Two x D-rings: 3.8cm (11⁄2in)
- Two x D-rings with trigger clips attached: 3.8cm (11⁄2in)
- Bag slider: 3.8cm (11⁄2 in)
- Scraps of twine: for zip pulls
- Piping cord: 150cm (59in)
- 4 magnetic clasps
- Matching thread
- Basic sewing kit
Use a 5mm (1⁄4in) seam allowance unless otherwise stated. Seam allowances are included on the pattern pieces.
- Learn the basics of bag-making
- Attach a sturdy strap
- Insert zips
- Add pockets
- Sew piping
Get the pattern
Get the pattern free with issue 34 in our online store.