Sew the effortlessly stylish staple Shirt Dress for everyday with a button fastening, collar, sleeve tabs and optional waist belt.
One of the reasons we’re so hooked on sewing is that it’s not just a hobby, but a life-long learning experience. Every day is a school day when you’re a sewist! So we love projects that give us a chance to show off our existing skills and try out a few new ones, like this issue’s Shirt Dress pattern.
- 12 Beginner Sewing Patterns to make today
- Check out our Etsy Pattern Shop!
- How to make a patternless infinity/wrap dress
This must-have design is all about the fun-to-sew details, from a grandad collar and buttonholes, to an optional waist belt and sleeve cuffs and tabs. That’s at least five new skills to tick off our list!
This staple dress design comes with two length options to make. It’s easy to wear with a loose shape and belted waist for a flattering fit.
The Shirt Dress Sewing Pattern
Get the printed pattern Simply Sewing magazine, issue 56
Get the digital pattern in our Etsy store
Sizes: UK sizes 6-20 (US 4-18, EUR 34-38)
- Learn how to add a collar
- Sew buttons and buttonholes
- Construct a simple waist belt
- Make sleeve tabs
You will need:
- Fabric: Dress A: 3.3mx115cm (4ydx45in) or 2.7mx140cm (3ydx55in)
- Fabric: Dress B: 3.6mx115cm (4ydx45in) or 3.1mx140cm (31⁄2ydx55in)
- 14 x 10-12mm buttons
- 2 x 10-12mm buttons, for the sleeve tabs (optional)
- Lightweight interfacing: 30x150cm (12x59in)
- Matching thread
- Basic sewing kit
Light to medium weight fabrics such as cotton, cotton lawn or rayon.
Get the pattern: instantly to your phone, tablet or computer in our Etsy shop.