Boost your skills with this stylish backpack. Sewn up in canvas and featuring durable leather and webbing straps, this bag is made to last!
Master sewing with canvas fabric and learn bag-making skills with our beginners’ bag sewing pattern. We’ll talk you through how to add adjustable webbing and leather straps to create a roomy backpack with stylish fold-over detail.
Don’t forget to share your finished Sicily Bag with us tagged #simplysewingmag!
The Sicily Bag sewing pattern
Get this sturdy yet stylish pattern with issue 51 of Simply Sewing magazine.
Approx: 38 (H) x 34 (W) x 12cm (D) (15x14x5in).
You will need:
- Canvas fabric: 85x115cm (34x45in)
- Lining fabric: 85x115cm (34x45in)
- Foam interfacing: 1.2m (11⁄2yd)
- Zip: 18cm (7in), to match the lining
- 8 x screw rivets
- Bag sliders: 2x4cm (15⁄8in) wide
- Rectangle rings: 2 x 4cm (15⁄8in) wide
- Taupe webbing: 2.5m (23⁄4yd) x 4cm (15⁄8in) wide, for the adjustable straps
- Tan leather or faux leather: 1.3m (11⁄2yd) x 2.5cm (1in) wide, for the front straps
- Leather hole punch
- Leather glue
- Walking foot (optional)
Use a sturdy fabric such as cotton canvas, heavyweight cotton, nylon or denim.
- Learn bag-making!
- Master sewing with canvas
- Add adjustable webbing
- Make and attach leather straps
Simply Sewing issue 51 is available both in-store and online.
Order your copy today in our online store.