Twirl your way into event season with The Sophia Dress in UK sizes 6-20, a statement occasion frock with cut-out side panels and two sleeve and skirt styles.
From prom nights to garden parties, weddings to anniversary celebrations, summer events offer sewists so many opportunities to get creative with luxurious fabrics – think beautiful brocades, sumptuous jacquards, floaty crepes and statement cotton prints.
- Buy this pattern with issue 42 today
- Not sure about the cut-out side panels? Download a bonus pattern piece to sew this pattern without them.
- Read more about issue 42 of Simply Sewing magazine
Of course, special fabrics like these call for a special pattern, and we’ve got just the design: The Sophia Dress, in UK sizes 6-20 (US 4-18/EUR 34-48).
This chic number has swoon-worthy details to play with for a different look every time you make it, including optional cap sleeves, statement cut-out side panels and a twirly skirt in two lengths – perfect for social butterflies with lots of occasions in the calendar to sew for!
Grab a copy of issue 42 for fabric and occasion styling inspiration, and be sure to share your finished Sophia Dress tagged #simplysewingmag
The Sophia Dress
Only available with issue 42, Simply Sewing magazine
UK sizes 6-20, US 4-18 and EUR 34-48
You will need
- Dress A main fabric: 140cm (55in) width x 2.3m (21⁄2yds) for all sizes
- Dress B main fabric: 140cm (55in) width x 1.9m (21⁄4yds) for all sizes
- Dress A Lining fabric: 140cm (55in) width x 2.3m (21⁄2yds) for all sizes
- Dress B: 140cm (55in) width x 1.9m (21⁄4yds) for all sizes
- Invisible zip: 56cm (22in)
- Hook and eye
- Matching thread
Medium-weight woven fabrics such as cotton, brocade or jacquard. Use lightweight cotton for the lining.
- Add fluttery cap sleeves, or make a sleeveless Sophia.
- Sew on-trend cut-out side panels
- Sew a lined fitted bodice
- Insert an invisible zip
Get the pattern free with issue 42 of Simply Sewing magazine in our online store.