Sew a classic-chic wrap style with our wrap dress sewing pattern: with a simple tie closure and floaty grown-on sleeves, and you can make it as a top, too.
Just like the staple shift and timeless fit-and-flare, wrap dresses are one of those wardrobe classics that always make us feel amazing when we put them on – and that’s especially true for ones we’ve sewn ourselves!
The style was made famous by designer Diane von Furstenberg in the 1970s, and now we can stitch our own with The Wrap Dress sewing pattern: our ultimate version of this iconic look. With simple-sew grown-on sleeves and a tie fastening (no zips or buttons, hurrah!), this little number is easy to make, a doddle to fit to your shape and, as it’s designed for drapey fabrics like crepe, rayon or cotton lawn, will be a dream to wear.
And the pattern includes a chic wrap top, too!
- Browse our PDF sewing patterns in our Etsy store
- How to use a sewing pattern: beginner’s guide
- Issue preview: inside issue 54 of Simply Sewing magazine
The Wrap Dress
UK sizes 6-20, US 4-18 and EUR 34-48
You will need:
- Main fabric: Dress: 3.5m x 140cm (4yd x 55in), for all sizes
Top: 2.5m x 140cm (23⁄4yd x 55in), for all sizes
- Stay tape (optional)
- Matching thread
- Basic sewing kit
Light to medium-weight woven fabrics with drape such as silk, cotton, cotton lawn, crepe or rayon.
- Dress-making basics: gain confidence with grown-on sleeves and no fastenings
- Make a wrap tie belt
- Practise sewing seams and hems
- Construct a simple bodice
Order your printed copy today in our online store or head to our Etsy shop for the PDF version.