The Zara Dress sewing pattern from Cotton + Chalk is the perfect throw-on-and-go sun dress that’ll take you from beach to bar (or from park to barbecue if you’re enjoying a staycation this summer!). The pattern features a feminine cross-over skirt with a high-low hemline, an easy-wear elastic waist and two neckline and back bodice styles to mix and match: a cowl or scooped neck, and a plain or elasticated back bodice.
Jersey is our go-to fabric in the summer months. Not only is it super-comfy to wear and available in myriad tempting prints (proven by our rather sizeable stash!), but garments made with knits can be easily rolled up in our suitcase and won’t need any ironing when we get to our destination – win!
Dress A has a scooped neckline finished with a fabric neckband and elastic across the upper back bodice. Dress B has a cowl neck collar.
Share your finished Zara Dress with us using #simplysewingmag – we’d love to see!
The Zara Dress sewing pattern
This pattern was originally available with Simply Sewing issue 31. This issue has sold out online.
Sizes: UK sizes 6-20
- Insert an elastic casing for a gathered waist
- Practise two collar styles – scooped or cowl
- Sew a high-low skirt
You will need:
- Dress A: Fabric 152cm/60in wide x 2.7–2.9m (3–31⁄8yd)
- Dress B: Fabric 152cm/60in wide x 3–3.1m (31⁄4–33⁄8yrds)
- Dress A: Elastic: 5mm (1⁄4in) wide x 1.6m (13⁄4yds)
- Dress B: Elastic: 5mm (1⁄4in) wide x 1.2m (11⁄4yds).
- Matching thread
Interlock, matte jersey, cotton jersey. Designed for knits with 35% stretch across the grain.