We’re self-confessed pattern-hoarders of vintage dress making patterns here at Simply Sewing HQ. If you share our love of fashions from yesteryear, we’ve got the perfect idea for your next project – go retro! The McCall Pattern Company are running a Big Vintage Sewalong this summer, and it’s going to be great fun.
They’re calling on sewists everywhere to share the vintage love – get together with friends for a vintage sewing session or sew a vintage pattern, then show off the results online. They’ve even put together a vintage pattern edit over at www.vintagesewalong.co.uk to inspire you to make a vintage pattern from their archives. Bloggers from the sew-sphere are getting involved and showing off their vintage creations online, including Sew Over It, By Hand London and Sew for Victory.
How to get involved…
- Follow the Sew-along online! We love their Pinterest board and ravishing retro instagram feed.
- Share your vintage sewing and photos with other sewists online using the hashtag #bvsewalong
- Sign up for a vintage workshop.
- Check out what vintage pattern your favourite blogger is sewing with the Sewalong Calendar.
- Plan a vintage sew-along day with your friends.
- Pop into a Vintage Tea Party at this Autumn’s The Knitting & Stitching Shows at Alexandra Palace and Harrogate, wearing your unique vintage creation.
- Visit www.vintagesewalong.co.uk and keep up to date with the full calendar of events
If you can’t get enough of vintage dress making, travel back in time with our History of Fashion series. Top row: 1980s fashion (L), 1920s fashion (R), Bottom row: 1970s fashion (L), 1910s fashion (R).